Sunday 24 April 2011

steps of making: poster




step 1
I looked at the basic  layouts that i had drawn out for my poster. they only included a small amount of font and some images as i wanted the poster to be simple and clear with not alot of crouded information as this is what both my primary and seconday research suggested.
I chose to use the first layout as it was the most simple and followed the advise of the focus group and my secondary research.
In my research i found that when making posters they tend to be simple. This is because if they are placed on bill boards or walls the public only get a glimpse of them meaning they can’t have to much information of them as it just wont get read. Instead of this large bold fonts are used to ensure key information is seen. I followed this concept and added my large mast head in the centre of the page so it was clear and in the eye line of the public.
I changed it slightly by covering the date with the same black as the rest of the background which I had saved in my swatches.
step 2.
I took a selection of images of people of the archetypal reader of my paper and made a montage of them to put as the background for my poster. I decided to this as it makes it clear ho my paper is for and as they are of the same age as the reader the reader will relate to the images of smiling young people and be engaged to read the paper as it is made specially for them.
After i added these images i made them black and white  so they looked like old style newspaper clippings and changed the opacity from 100% to 50% meaning any writing going on top of these would still stand out.
step 3
I then added in bold large type face a slogan “ the news that matter to you “ with the images of the youth behind this their is no mistaking this poster is advertising  newspaper for young people. The fact that the news matter to these people connotes that the stories in the paper will be relevant to their lives making them want to but it.
I also made the full stop at the end of the slogan blue so it matched the full stop in the mast head and the colour scheme and identity of my paper.
It is also speaking directly to the reader so they feel engaged and therefore more likely to start buying the paper.
step 4
I decide to change the word “ news” in the slogan to the same blue font as used throughout as it made this word stand out; making it clear that it was a newspaper-with a twist.

step 5
I decide to change the word “ news” in the slogan to the same blue font as used throughout as it made this word stand out; making it clear that it was a newspaper-with a twist.
 


Feedback:
Good points
The logo is positioned well on the page, it is large and draws in the reader eye.
The images of the young people on the background are  effective- they make it clear that what the newspaper is advertising it is for young people
The word news is highlighted which makes it clear it is advertising a newspaper
The blue full stop at the end links the full stop in the logo.
Negative points
The top half of the poster looks plain
There are blank spaces on the background
You have repeated some images on the background
Could have some more writing that draws in the reader.
step 6
 
I changed what I had written slightly, it now reads “ the news that matters to you... And its free” By putting text above the logo it bought the two sections of the poster and made it look more professional and polished. As well as the word news I changed the word free blue to made them stand out on the page. I also underlined free as this would be a the word on the page that really draws in readers.
Feedback I received told me that I had repeated some images on the background so I changed these and filled in the blank spaces.
completed


audience feedback
good points
bold fonts stand out
the key words are written in blue
free is underlined- catches the readers eye
collage at back is a nice idea
images are of young people- matches the audience
the mst head is recognisbale as it is on the newspaper
mast head is in the center it stands out
negative
not 100% clear what it is for?

The last negative point is an interesting one, After taking this into consisderation i realised that this was not overly important. the idea of the poster was to raise awarness of the website and paper. A person seeing this would only see it for a split second and i feel the key information (the web adress, name of newspaper) are in bold. Meaning they will see this and be interested hat it is about and then do research. The use of the images shows it is for younger people so i was not worried about this.Plus the word NEWS is written in large bold lettering so it is cleaar that it is a newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment